Election Day Voter Registration in Iowa
We have analyzed the likely impact of adoption of election day registration (EDR) by the state of Iowa. Consistent with existing research on the impact of EDR in other circumstances, we find that EDR would likely lead to substantial increases in voter turnout. We are able to offer the following estimates of increases in turnout for Iowa, and for specific groups of Iowans under EDR:
- Overall turnout could go up by 4.9 percent.
- Turnout among those aged 18 to 25 could increase by 10.7 percent under EDR.
- Turnout for those who have moved in the last six months could increase by 8.8 percent under EDR.
- Turnout for Latinos could increase by 9.5 percent, and for African-Americans turnout could increase by 6.6 percent under EDR.
- Turnout among recently naturalized citizens could increase by as much as 20.2 percent.